Friday, September 9, 2011

where were you?

on sunday it will be 10 years since out country was attacked on September, 11 2001. i've been thinking a lot about it lately. there have been a lot of articles online, and many tv reports in the last week or so that i've been paying attention to. i've seen horrifying pictures from that day, and heard people tell where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.....where were you?

i was getting ready for school. i always had the radio on while i was doing my hair, getting dressed, and putting my makeup on (seems silly that i was trying to look my best while others were fighting for their lives). i was looking in the mirrior, giving myself one last look over when Z103's DJ's came on and said that a plane had crashed into the world trade center in NYC. i didn't know what the worl trade center was, but i thought it was werid that an airplane would crash into a building. i remember thinking how scared the pilot must have been before he hit (at the time i thought it was just a little one man plane), and i remember wondering what kind a freak malfunction must have cause a trained pilot  to run into a building. so i finished getting ready for the day and went out and hopped in the car and while she drove me to school i told her what i hear on the radio. she told me that i had heard wrong and that a plane wouldn't just fly into a building. i got to school and i had mrs. aston's history class first (fitting right?). i walked in and she had been crying, we sat down she told us more of what had happened, and we turned on the news. we watched the news in every class that day.... and the situation got more and more scary by the minuet. when i got home my mom apologized for not believing what i had told her that morning. i don't remember many details from that day, or from any of the days that followed, but i remember exactly what i was doing the moment i heard about that first plane. i don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing...but this all means more to me now than it did then. i'm more touched by it now, and understand it better now that i'm older, and i realize that because of what happened on this day my children will be growing up in a very scary world.
i'm sure most of you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing as well. i just read this article (watch the video and read the article) of an astronaut who was the only american not on the planet at the time the attack happened, and how helpless he felt watching what happened from space (he saw the smoke over new york).  where were you? what were you doing?
take a moment (or better yet, the whole day) on sunday to remember what happened 10 years ago, and what our men and women in the armed forces are fighting for.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Similar story. I was sitting in my room in front of my mirror doing my hair listening to Z103, I didn't quite understand it either and had no idea what the World Trade Center was. When I got to school we watched the footage all day long, in every class. That is all we did that day. I will never forget that day. I even remember that I was wearing a white t-shirt.